1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Be a Groomsman, Spend a night in an airport, go to a graduation (just not mine), go to a ball (two no less).
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
As per usual I didn’t really make any. One day I will make some and give it a shot, but for now I have enough to be getting on with as it is.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Again, nope. Although I get the feeling the days when that happens a lot are soon coming. Silly getting old thing…
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Again, thankfully not.
5. What countries did you visit?
France, Italy (just for a night) and I was meant to go to Japan, but it was not to be.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Last year I said “More enthusiasm about my uni work”, and to an extent this still rings true, but things are quite different this year. I still don’t want to do it, but I am. For this coming year I would like more travel and a lot more time with my girlfriend Demelza
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Jonners and Beth’s wedding, Holiday to France with Demelza and my family. The two balls I went to for end of university for some people. I also moved house in Brighton which was actually quite fun, although a lot of work. Visiting Demelza in Cornwall and her coming to stay with me a few times have all been really nice too.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Coming out of the mess of my level year at uni not completely broken springs to mind. I’m not sure if achievement is the right word, but how things have gone with Demelza spring to mind again (note the reoccurring theme…
9. What was your biggest failure?
My final year project at uni. Although a great idea and in a lot of ways it was also my greatest achievement, I still failed at it.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
As per usual, colds and alike, but nothing interesting.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Flights to France. Best family holiday ever for me.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Well, I normally become political at this point, so I see no reason to change that. The great voting public of America. They finally got it together and voted the right man into power. Hell, it was almost even a woman, and that is really impressive.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
US and UK governments, as always. There are of course many stories from around the world each day that scare me and appal me, but there is nothing more consistent that these governments. Actually, if you want a classic from a few days ago that I found scary, try this out
14. Where did most of your money go?
Probably in the following order: Bills, food, trains, planes
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I wouldn’t say I got quite that excited, but Holidays, going down to Cornwall, Beth and Jonners wedding.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a. Happier or sadder?
Happier. Last year I was expecting to fail or mess up my degree (well, I already was). This year I am being more hopeful with lots more to look forward to.
b. Thinner or fatter?
I think about the same.
c. Richer or poorer?
So much poorer. Last year I still had a nice big pill or Merrill’s Money, now it is all gone… *sobs*
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I will I did more uni work, but I also wish I had figured out I wasn’t going to complete my degree that year a bit earlier and used that time better. As per usual I wish I had seen more friends more times.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I actually don’t know.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home with my family as per usual.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Not technically, but I fell further in love *que soppy music*
22. How many one-night stands?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t think so. I guess I could if I really wanted to, but I don’t really hate people. They bug me and grate at me, but I never hate them as such, more wish they weren’t in my line of sight.
25. What was the best book you read?
What is this reading you talk of? I only look at pictures books. So, on that note, here is the best picture book of the year in my eyes. D.I.Y Dentistry
26. What did you want and get?
I put “love” last year, and I see no reason to take that out. The year you see me take that out, it was a bad year.
27. What did you want and not get?
A degree… But that’s my doing. I’m sure as usual it was lots of little things.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
It was my 22nd birthday and I spent it with Demelza in Brighton.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More spare time and more time with friends, more money would be nice, oh, and moving to Cornwall.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
North Face advert
33. What kept you sane?
Well, it certainly wasn’t my housemates, or my family. Has to be Demelza. She is very good at calming down if I get wound up about something, which me being me happens a fair bit. She puts up with a lot from me, will have to do more to pay her back for it. As with last year, this is assuming I am sane… I make no promises.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy/respect the most?
Barak Obama without any doubt.
36. Who did you miss?
Demelza, relationships at distance suck and require Skype.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Did I meet anyone new? I mean, there were a few faces at the wedding, but that’s about it. Again, mainly it was a year of getting to know a lot of people a lot better.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
Admitting you messed up is harder than messing up.
Happy new year everyone.